Monday, February 04, 2008

Football & Stomach - Two big upsets in one night.

First off, I'd like to say congratulations to the New York Football Giants for an absolutely amazing game. I started out at a bar for the night, but the free Jim Beam and mini soy corn dogs did not sit well in my already temperamental stomach. I was forced to go home during the first quarter to lie on my couch with a bottle of Pepto. Not fun.

Now, this is one of the few, if not only times I will cheer for the Giants. I hate them. I dated a Giants fan during the 2002 NFC Championship debacle, and I never heard the end of it. I took a lot of pleasure watching the Vikings destroy the Giants this year. However, the short-sleeved force of evil known as Bill Belichick needed to be stopped. I swallowed my pride, and attempted to muffle my laughter when Eli got another delay of game penalty. THAT'S how badly I wanted the Pats to lose.I found myself jumping up and down in my apartment alone when Stems Plexiglass caught the game winning touchdown. Then I stood there in awe when something occurred to me. Something I never thought would ever happen in a million years.

I was impressed...by Eli Manning.

I'll just let you guys marinate in that one a little bit.

At that very moment, I was almost proud to be residing on the same coast as this great team. The ultimate underdogs. It was like last year's NCAA Fiesta Bowl and the Giants were Boise State, and the Patriots were Oklahoma U. That's how it felt. Miraculous. Seeing that fucking smug, cheating bastard in his red hoodie (NOT the game to change it up, yo) abandon his entire team on the field with 1 second left made me almost throw my TV out the window.

Anyway, that's my Superbowl night in a nutshell. So0000 not the same as the parties we would throw in the courtyard of the unit - but hey, I'm back in Canada. I'll take what I can.

No comments: