Thursday, January 25, 2007

Gilmore Grief

Lorelai Gilmore has broken a lot of hearts. Max Medina and Digger (delightful companions both) were pretty much tossed aside for no good reason other than Lorelai's ditzy immaturity. And yet that didn't trouble me at all, because she was so charming and because I wanted her with Luke anyways, regardless of how sexy Chris was. This season, however, things are different.

I don't like Christopher. I never have. I hate the fact that they sent her back to him, and that they got married so hastily. I hate what a whiner he is. But this new Lorelai, this charmless Lorelai from whom forced banter awkwardly springs forth, can't get away with crushing him in order to fix her fuck-up with Luke as she might have in the past. There's Rory and Gigi. There's the fact that she actually said I do. But most importantly, there's the fact that after seven years now, I have the distinct feeling that she hasn't learned anything or changed at all. Which makes me really not like her. It makes me think that Luke could probably do better.

So...fix it please, new writing team members. Luke and Lorelai need to be together by the time the series ends (sooner rather than later? We all know this season's numbers haven't been great...) and if at all possible, I don't want to feel dirty about it.

No comments: